NEOC: DCR Houghton's Pond - In-Person - (Milton, MA)
Sunday, June 05, 2022
Blue Hills West (Houghton's Pond)
10:30 A.M.—11:30 A.M.
10:00 am - 11:00 am: Registration
10:30 - 11:30 am: Starts for the Score-O and beginner course (white/yellow-level). Score-O runners have an hour to finish the course. Controls will be on or near trails. Competitors will have an hour to get as many controls as they can. Each control is worth 1 point. 1 point will be subtracted for each minute exceeding an hour.
Another note: We are trying something different: asking competitors to stay on trails. This will give you a chance to practice the type of route choice navigation needed in urban sprints and ski-O. It also avoids having to go through the vegetation which is getting pretty thick now that all the leaves are out.
12:30 PM: Picnic and Annual General Meeting (AGM). Bring a picnic lunch and stay around to chat and find out about NEOC's upcoming activities, finances, and more. Drinks will be provided. We will also vote to fill four seats on the Board of Directors. See neoc.org/boardelection2022 for candidate statements and voting information, including instructions to vote by proxy if you can't attend. If you are holding a proxy, see the Clerk (Joanne Sankus), to register the proxy before the meeting.
Junior Fundraiser at Houghton's Pond: We will have a fundraiser drive (a cup for cash) to support travel costs for the local juniors selected for the US Junior World Orienteering Championships in Portugal (Bridget Hall, Keegan Harkavy, and Anna Campbell) at this event. As one junior notes, "participating in these larger competitions allows us to learn how to handle high pressure situations, experience new types of terrain, and meet other juniors across the country and around the globe. The experience helps us to grow as both athletes and people." The Houghton's Pond event is co-organized by Barb Bryant and many local junior orienteers. Ask them about their orienteering adventures!
Start/Finish and Parking Fees
- Registration: Near Houghton's Pond Picnic Area 4
- Parking: 50 Blue Hill River Rd., Milton MA
There is a parking lot at the end of Hill River Road and several parking areas along the road.
- Members Orienteer Free
- Non-members:$10 adult, $5 juniors (7-21 yrs), < 7 free. Family max of $25.
- Groups: Fee: $20 plus $2 per person. See group information below.
- Parking Fees:Free at this event.
- SI rental ($10) or purchase ($15) available at registration.
NEW! Payment at event registration table (Paypal, GooglePay, ApplePay, Venmo and credit card accepted).
On-site Registration and Payment
- Members with a club-registered SI timing device proceed to the computer table to select a course and register. No phone needed.NEW! Ifyour SI device is not registered, then register on-site with a smart phone or volunteer.
- Members who want to use QR code for timing: Go to registration table to scan registration QR code and to get a map.
- Non-members: Register and pay at registration table. You can use QR code timing (need smartphone), your own SI device, or rent or purchase SI device for timing. Bring a smart phone for registration & timing (if using QR codes). Volunteers can assist you with registering if you don't bring a smart phone.
Timing Device and Compass
- Time yourself by using a SI device or QR codes(with smartphone).
- Bring your own compass. If you forgot one, check at the registration desk.
- Volunteer with our great event crew: Link here.
- Bring a whistle with you on the course. Grab one from the event Registration table if you don’t have one.
- Masks optional.
- Scan the FINISH QR code (even if you didn’t find all the checkpoints or just decided to stop) or check in at the computer station so we know that you are off the course.
- Bring your own water to the event and carry it on the course, if needed.
- Groups must pre-register by Tuesday before the eventby contacting the meet director. Maps cannot be guaranteed for unregistered groups.
- Provide information on the anticipated number of participants and if you are bringing a bus or van to the event. Special parking requirements may be required by the venue.
- Loan of compasses and SI-devices are included with group rates.
- Group leaders should pick up maps at the registration table.
- All group participants need to sign awaiver either on-line at in-person registration or in advance).
Houghton's Pond Picnic Area 4
50 Blue Hill River Rd.
There is a parking lot at the end of the road, and several parking areas along the road.
Look for the O-signs.
See who's coming to this event from MeetUp.