NEOC: Beginner Training- Auburndale Park (Newton, MA)
Saturday, March 25, 2023, 10:00am - 02:30pm
Auburndale Park & Flowed Meadow Conservation Area
Beginner Training - Instruction starting every 15 minutes: 10:00am - 1:00pm.
Brand new to orienteering? Always wondered what to do with a map & compass? This introductory event will offer small group trainings with an instructor and time to complete an orienteering course.
Training courses are approximately 0.5 km. Other courses include:
- White/accessible course (1.5km),
- Yellow course (2.3 km),
- Sprint1 (3.1 km)
- Sprint 2 (3.4km).
All course distances are approximate and time needed to complete each course will be dependent on whether you walk or run, and accuracy of your navigation. In general, the White and Yellow courses can usually be completed in 45 minutes (or less) at a walk. Children 12 and under need to be accompanied by an adult.
Free for NEOC members. Non-members are $5 per person.
Members will receive a discount code via email to have the $5 fee waived.
Help needed! Volunteer to help with registration, instruction, control hanging or pickup.
If your desired instructional session is full, you are still welcome to try the courses on your own anytime from Friday-Sunday March 24-26. See details at BYOM Auburndale Park. Download the maps, then print the courses you want to do.
Non-members pay $10 per family for the downloads. NEOC members are free.
This event is a joint effort between the New England Orienteering Club and Newton Parks and Recreation to help introduce folks to the joys of orienteering and the fun of running around in the woods with a map and compass.
Parking at the large lot (free of charge) at 104 W. Pine Street.
Restrooms will be available.
Items to Bring With You
- Dress for the weather. This event happens snow, rain, or shine. Plan to be outside for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Maps: Printed maps will be provided for those who register for instruction.
- Compass if you have one. (Some loaners will be available.) A simple works very well for orienteering.
- Water & snacks. No water is available on the course.
- Mask optional.
- Cell phone with web access (recommended but optional) - to get a total time with splits. You can use the camera on your phone to scan a QR code at each control point.
Alternative: use a watch for timing, and punch a provided card to verify that you got to each control.
- Please be respectful of other park users.
- Report any missing controls / QR codes or any other issues to the event director.
- Dogs must be leashed.
- Please scan the FINISH QR code (even if you didn’t find all your controls, or just decided to stop) so we know you are off the course.
104 W. Pine St.