Bring-Your-Own-Map Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is the start?
Getting to the Start is your first navigation challenge!
On your map, find your current location—parking lot, trailhead, cul de sac, etc. Next, look on your map for the red/purple triangle—that is the course Start.
When you get to the "triangle" location, you will find QR codes labeled Registration and Start. Scan the Registration code first, to input your name and choose a course.
- How do I get a map?
- On the Schedule page of Coming Events, click the name/link of the event you want to attend. The details of the event will display.
- Scroll down to the "Get Course Maps" heading, and click the Download button. A form will load with separate instructions for members and non-members.
- Members will be emailed a link to the map files (.pdf downloads). Non-members must pay the event fee before the map files are displayed.
- Do I need to pay for each person in my family/group separately?
WORK - (I have been telling folks to pay for each person going out separately, and asking groups to send check for $20 + $2 per person to Jim C – - but I just made those answers up – perhaps should have checked with the BOD?? do we need a “group fee payment option” ?)
- Can scout groups go out on BYOM courses?
WORK - (I have said yes with above payment info. But that means we are not getting waivers.....hmmmmm)
- My phone didn’t work on one control, can you fix my time so I'm not listed as DNF?
- What do I need to bring with me?
Consider carrying the following:
- Map that you printed. Putting it in a plastic bag (gallon ziplocs work) will keep the ink from smudging.
- Water & snacks - no water is available on the course.
- Mask - as required by the venue property owners. Keep at least 6-feet between you and everyone else, including at controls if someone else happens to be there.
- Cell phone with web access if you are QR-code orienteering. You may also want to bring a backup battery, especially if it’s cold.
Alternative: Time yourself with a watch and submit your result(s) as described on the event's Schedule page.
- I think one of the controls is missing. Is there someone I can contact?
In the Schedule page for your event, you can find contact information for the Meet Director or Course Setter. Please tell them which course you were on and which control was missing. Thanks for helping!