Celebrate the 50th anniversary of our first event!
June 6th, 1971: Hans Bengtsson set the first courses at Houghton's Pond
(before NEOC was officially formed as a club in April, 1972)
We are recreating that event, complete with a Black-and-White USGS map, "updated for 1971" with some added features. Come experience orienteering as it was in its infancy in New England.
Map Scale: 1:10000
Courses: Novice (3.3 km), Short (4.0 km), Long (6.8 km)
All controls are Yellow level; none on trails, all within fifty meters of a trail. There will be no water on the course.
Join us after your course for a Bring-Your-Own-Picnic at picnic site #4. (The potluck format is suspended this year.)
NEOC's Annual General Meeting (AGM), with election for the Board of Directors, will take place starting at 1:00 PM.
Start/Finish and Parking
- Registration: Near Houghton's Pond Picnic Area 4
- Parking: 50 Blue Hill River Rd., Milton MA
There is a parking lot at the end of Hill River Road and several parking areas along the road.
There will be two ways to register:
- If you have your own finger-stick, and we have your stick number and name on file, you can "dip" your stick at the meet computer, verify your name, and choose your course.
- Otherwise, scan a “check in” QR code with your smartphone. Enter your name, course, and finger-stick number. (Loaner finger-sticks will be available.)
If you do not have a smartphone (or don’t want to bring it to the event), we will have volunteers who can enter your information.
Clear/Check your finger stick. Proceed to Start. Please allow at least 1 minute between starts on the same course.
- Please indicate that you are off the course (even if you don’t find all the controls or get fed up partway through!) by downloading your finger-stick.
- There will be no results monitor. Scan a QR code to view results on the Web. If you supplied an email address at registration, results will be emailed to you.
There is a parking lot at the end of Blue Hill River Road and several parking areas along the road.